Original Case Details
49-year-old Michael Clune is facing sex offense charges in three different northern Michigan counties after new charges were announced against him by the Michigan Attorney General’s Office. In Roscommon and Shiawassee Counties, Clune is accused of using the internet to meet underage boys for sex. It is alleged that at least one of these meetings led to a sexual encounter in Shiawassee County. A search of Clune’s residence led investigators to find electronic devices at the home that resulted in criminal charges for what was found on the devices. Clune is alleged to have used the dating app Grindr to meet victims and form relationships with them. Before the announcement of charges in Roscommon and Shiawassee Counties, Clune was already awaiting trial on similar sex offense charges in Clare County. Once it became apparent that the cases against Clune would span across multiple counties, the Michigan Attorney General’s Office got involved, which led to Clune facing charges in three separate jurisdictions. If you are facing a sex offense charge, then it is important to speak to an experienced Michigan sex crime defense attorney immediately.
Criminal Charges & Potential Penalties
Clune is facing charges in three separate Michigan counties alleging that different victims are involved. The criminal charges he faces in each county and the maximum potential penalties are described below:
- One count of sodomy; this is a felony charge that carries a maximum prison sentence of up to 15 years. If the person is considered a sexual delinquent, then they can face any sentence from a judge from 1 day in jail to life in prison.
- Two counts of using a computer to commit a crime; In the current case, convictions for these crimes are felonies and can result in a sentence of up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Criminal sexual conduct 3rd degree involving a person aged 13-15; this is a felony charge that carries a maximum of 15 years in prison upon conviction.
- Accosting a child for immoral purposes; this is a felony charge that carries up to four years in prison upon conviction.
Roscommon County & Shiawassee County:
- Criminal sexual conduct 1st degree; this is a felony charge that carries a maximum of life in prison or any term of years as decided by a sentencing judge.
- Five counts of aggravated child sexually abusive activity; this is a felony charge that carries a maximum of up to 20 years in prison.
- Five counts of using a computer to commit a felony; If the underlying crime is a felony that has a maximum of 15 years or more, then this charge is a felony that carries a maximum of up to 20 years in prison upon conviction.
It is important to note that many of these charges allow for consecutive sentencing, which means that convictions cannot be grouped together to allow for prison time served at the same time for them. Consecutive sentencing allows for sentences to be stacked by adding up the time, instead of running the time concurrently to each other as is common with most criminal offenses.
The Next Steps
Clune is scheduled to face trial on his charges in Clare County, it is likely to expect that the other cases are waiting for this first case to conclude before proceeding with the other cases. The result in his Clare County case will likely influence what happens with his Roscommon and Shiawassee County cases. It is also possible that a “global” resolution could be reached, combining all the cases into one to work out a general deal if that is what Clune is looking for. If the cases remain separated, then he has the potential to face multiple trials across the three counties he is charged. If he is convicted of these charges, he is potentially looking at a life sentence. In the interim, the prosecution will have to get past the preliminary examination phase for the Roscommon and Shiawassee County cases in order to potentially try the cases against Clune. If you are facing the possibility of criminal charges related to a sex offense, it is important that you obtain advice from an experienced criminal defense attorney. The attorneys at Grabel & Associates are available to you 24/7.
Any Further Questions?
At Grabel & Associates, our attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience in successfully defending criminal cases all over the state of Michigan. We offer a FREE consultation to anyone with questions relating to a possible or existing criminal charge against them or for postconviction help. Feel free to contact us on our 24/7 defense line at 1-800-342-7896. You can also contact us online or come visit us at one of our three statewide locations. We can also come to you.